[techtalk] Pine Usage

Cat cschmitt at polaris.umuc.edu
Fri Dec 17 03:45:43 EST 1999

> try 'echo $TERM' to see what your terminal setting is.
> then try 'export $TERM=vt100' to set it to vt100.
> If that doesn't work, try another telnet program or contact your provider.
> Or use ssh.  (A decent windows ssh app is 'secure crt.'  I don't remember
> where to find it, and I don't know if this is something you need.  Just
> giving information.)  Not that ssh will fix the problem; I just advocate
> it when possible :)

SecureCRT is available at www.vandyke.com.  I really like it when I have
to connect somewhere from Windows.

Anyway, the only shell account I log into that don't already have the
terminal set to vt100, happen to run the Bourne shell -- I'm saying this
because I don't know if other shells demand different syntax for this.
When I get that 'ansi' message, I type:

TERM=vt100;export TERM

This will change your term type to vt100 for the duration of your session,
and allow you to use pine.  (At least it has always worked for me :-).

_Cat

 > > --
> Hey kids, let's go to Chernobyl!
> 			-Vynce