[techtalk] kxicq

Caitlyn M. Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 2 12:01:40 EST 2000

Hi, Nick,

>  hey, all.  I was helping my girlfriend try to install kxicq on her caldera
> 2.4 system last night.  it ended up being a bit of an annoying install, but
> the biggest problem we had was that it gave an error   that Qt >={something}
> (I don't remember what the version number was) was not installed.  now, is
> this a package that needs to be installed when caldera is installed?

The versions of QT which come with COL 2.4 (1.44 and 2.1) are not the
latest.  You need to upgrade your version of QT to either 1.45 or 2.2,
depending on what the application calls for.

I haven't used kxicq, but kicq is very nice for Caldera/KDE.  You can get
RPMs and install them via kpackage, which would probably be easier.  No
upgrade to QT is needed.  You need two packages:  icqlibs (needs to be
installed first) and kicq.  Both can be had from the Red Hat FTP site under
PowerTools for 6.2.  You'll need to manually move the link and icon files to
where Caldera expects them under /opt, since Red Hat places these in
/usr/share, but once you do that kicq will appear in her K menu and work
just fine.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Caity