[techtalk] directory that is writable by web server process

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Mon Oct 23 10:44:35 EST 2000

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 06:27:44PM -0400, m20bi wrote:
> I need to make a directory to which my web server process (httpd, I think)
> has read/write access. How do I go about doing this? I'm using RedHat 6.2
> and Apache 1.3.12. Barbara

The httpd process (which is, indeed, the correct one) runs as user
'nobody' and group 'nobody' for security reasons. So you need to make
the directory readable (and/or writeable) by 'nobody'.

Be aware that having write access to the directory could introduce
security problems, so it would be best if there was nothing else in the
directory. However, I don't know the specific situation you are working
in, so I won't wander any further down this path.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Malcolm Tredinnick            email: malcolm at commsecure.com.au
CommSecure Pty Ltd