[Techtalk] mpg123 error

Sam Watkins sam at myinternet.com.au
Sun Dec 2 17:20:52 EST 2001

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 02:26:27PM -0500, Raven Brooke wrote:

> I am getting the following error when trying to play mp3's with mpg123:
>
> Error opening libao oss driver
>
> any idea where to start debugging this?

Do you have libao installed?  What distro do you use?
Does sound work apart from this problem?

Try using mpg321 instead of mpg123, the license is better.

Better still, try ogg-vorbis :) it's much stronger than mp3 and it's
patent-free - on the other hand, you'd need to re-encode everything,
vorbis is not as widely supported as mp3.

Sam