[techtalk] Kickstart woes

Magni Onsoien magnio at pvv.ntnu.no
Tue Jul 3 10:29:34 EST 2001

s h:

(This mail is OLD - but I just returned from vacations and while waiting
for my kickstarting to finish I read some mail. Kickstart really sucks
until it works, then it's a dream. Or at least not a nightmare.)

> I've currently been playing with Kickstart.  When I tried it out, it
> booted the kernel on the disk, insmod'd the network card driver,
> successfully got a dhcp address, and then insmod'd nfs.o.  It gives no
> error messages at all; the last message is the nfs module line.
> However, the installation just aborts.  My ks.cfg is pasted below-- any
> ideas will be much appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> Sally
>

> lang en_US
> network --bootproto dhcp
> nfs --server galaxy.ltc.austin.ibm.com /kickstart

User --dir /kickstart

> rootpw .pasroot
> auth --useshadow --enablemd5

What version of RedHat are you using? In 6.2 am not sure if this will
work (but i haven't tried with --enablemd5) - it will maybe just set the
password blank. I did some awk-magic in the postinstall-section to
fix the passwd-file.

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.