[Techtalk] Red Hat/Windowmaker woes

patty patty at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 6 18:41:11 EST 2001

Hi.

I'm relatively new to the list, so I suppose a little introduction is in order. My name is Patty, I work in a network operations center in Atlanta.

At work, I use Red Hat with WindowMaker as my window manager. I've only had about six months' experience with any *nix at all, so I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge is somewhat pedestrian. I've become pretty attached to the combination, though, so I've been trying to install it at home.

I followed through with the installation instructions and spent several hours pondering over various FAQs, but no matter what I do, I cannot get WindowMaker to load as the default session, or indeed as any session at all. .xinitrc tells me that wmaker should be the manager it loads, but the login screen only gives me an option for Gnome.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Patty