[Techtalk] Window Managers ... again

Caitlyn Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Wed Aug 28 11:00:17 EST 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:02 +0200
BUNTER MATTHEW <Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com> wrote:

> --- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             28/08/02
> 15.02

> I'm trying to find a Window Manager for my laptop that :
>
> a) isn't too resource hungry (2.5M graphics card, P500 with 128M RAM).
>
> b) is for the users who don't like to use the mouse much. I would like
> to keep my hands on the keyboard as much as possible.
>
> and finally
>
> c) is fairly 'pretty'. I read a lot of pdfs and have found minimalist
> window managers don't display images and diagrams very well.

I second Dan's recommendation of IceWM.  http://www.icewm.org  It's the
one I mostly use.  Pick up Vadim Kholov's configuration tools and, more
importantly IcePref.  See the utilities page off of the main IceWM page
for those.  You'll probably need to do an rpmfind search (or apt-get for
Debian) for IcePref.

Other ones worth looking at are aewm:
http://www.red-bean.com/~decklin/aewm/

and Efsane II:  http://efsane.sitebest.com/maineng.php

I have tried all of the above, and they are lightweight enough to run on
a 75MHz 486 with 16MB of RAM :)

All the best,
Caity