[Techtalk] simple reference book on C++/ was [Techtalk] sim ple reference book on Linux

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Fri Feb 1 13:37:07 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 07:02, Davis, Jennifer wrote:

> 	If neccesary, I can show what I've done, but right now, it seems
> like a lot of trouble to do what:
>
> 10 ?"Hello World"
> 20 GOTO 10
>
> used to do.

C and C++ have a fair bit of complicated syntax that looks, at first, to
be pointless. However, if you strip out most of the syntax that (while
highly desirable) is kind of optional:

#include <iostream.h>
int main()
{
	cout << "Hello World\n";
	return (0);
}

To compile:

g++ -ohello hello.c

cc or gcc (in my Debian linux) compiles C, but not C++, and can't find
the C++ libraries like iostream.h

g++ compiles C++ (or C).

I'm using the first edition 'Practical C++ Programming' by Steve
Oualline, printed by O'Reilly. It's a 1995 book, and Dancer tells me my
syntax is slightly dated. Eh, I can update it when I'm writing
production code...

I don't recommend it as a teaching book unless you already know C. I do
recommend it as a reference (if there's an update)/upgrading to
C++/general reading for C or C++ programmers book.

Jenn V.
--

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/