[Techtalk] RedHat 8.0 dualboot with Windows XP

Vera Childs vera at dc-vc.net
Thu Apr 17 06:53:09 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 03:24, Chantal wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago, my friend gave me a set of CDs with Linux RedHat 8.0. I
> would like to install it as dualboot with Windows XP. When I tried to do that
> with RedHat 7.3, Linux didn't recognise XP, and I had to find another way to
> make them both boot. Does any of you know if 8.0 will make my life (well, not my
> life, but at least the installation) easier? I plan to use Grub.

I'm pretty sure 8.0 will recognize XP during the installation and set it
up as a boot option in Grub. I briefly installed 8.0 last fall, and it
saw my NTFS Win2k and put an entry for it in Grub.

But just in case... make an XP boot disk first. I don't know if they
added back in an option to do this (Win2k does not have it), but if they
didn't, there are web pages around that tell you what files you need to
copy to a floppy. That's what I had to do with Win2k (one of those areas
where Linux is easier again:).

Also, if you have multiple drives/partitions for Windows, the installer
will put an entry for each of those into Grub, so you may need to purge
out extraneous, non-bootable entries.

-Vera